Frequently Asked Questions about TESOL
TESOL teaching is a long established specialist field in all education sectors. TESOL units are available in undergraduate education programs. Postgraduate units and qualifications are available in TESOL and Applied Linguistics programs.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages – includes Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander languages and dialects
English as a Second Language
English as an Additional Language or Dialect – term used in schools as part of National Schools Curriculum (formerly ESL)
English Language Teaching – English for overseas students learning in Australia
English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students.
There are always employment opportunities in our field, especially as we’re an aging workforce!
You can consider the following areas:
- EAL/D (TESOL) specialist in Education Queensland, Catholic Education or Independent Schools
- TAFE Queensland (English language for adult migrants)
- Other providers such as non-government registered training organisations (RTOs) or community groups
- Teaching overseas students in Queensland at schools or adults in ELT centres eg colleges and universities
- Travelling and teaching English overseas
To work as an EAL/D (TESOL) specialist in Queensland primary and secondary schools you need a recognised teaching qualification, as well as registration with the Queensland College of Teachers. In addition, a Graduate Certificate, Diploma or Masters in TESOL or Applied Linguistics would be an advantage or are required.
To work with adult refugees & migrants who have been granted permanent residency, you’ll need the following qualifications:
- an undergraduate degree
- a Graduate Certificate, Diploma or Masters in TESOL or Applied Linguistics
- a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
To work in the English Language Teaching (ELT or ELICOS) sector in Australia, you will need the following qualifications:
- a recognised degree or equivalent and a recognised TESOL qualification
- a recognised degree in education with TESOL method
The Cambridge Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is recognised internationally as a basic TESOL teaching qualification. The CELTA is also sufficient for teaching in an ELT (ELICOS) centre in Australia.
Certificate IV in TESOL may be sufficient for teaching in an ELT (ELICOS) centre in Australia or for working overseas.